Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

I hope Santa was good to everyone and none of you found coal in your stockings. I received three new Xmas ornaments from Wendy that featured Lincoln statues and Lincoln sites. She also found a vintage hand colored photograph of Abe in a gift shop in Gettysburg when we were there for the Lincoln Forum in mid-November.
It has been too long since I got back to my Lincolning blog but that does not mean that I have not been out and about visiting new and old Lincoln statues.
November found Wendy and me on the east coast in NYC, Philly and Gettysburg. There is a wonderful new Lincoln in New York and we visited and photgraphed three works in Philly.
After the first of the year, I'll post a couple of blog entries and will also upload some pictures to my photo site.
The picture above is of the Lincoln statue at the site of the Lincoln-Douglas Debate in Ottawa. Someone decided that Mr. Lincoln and Mr. Douglas looked cold standing out in the middle of the park in downtown Ottawa and outfitted each with a warm scarf. I am not sure if pranksters added the scarves or if the city fathers of Ottawa added them to the statues.
I am not a huge proponent of dressing Abe up in clothing butsomeday I will have to relate the story of the HUGE bra that was placed on the statue of Lincoln in front of Millikin University in Decatur, my long time city of residence. Rumour has it that my wife may have been involved. Those crazy college kids.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. I hope your 2012 is spectacular!

No comments:

Post a Comment